The Mast Road neighborhood is located on Manchester’s West Side. This dense neighborhood is bordered by the Piscataquog River to the north, Bowman Street to the east, St. Joseph Cemetery to the South, and the Bedford town line to the west.
Mast Road was formerly known as Village of Piscataquog or Piscataquog, meaning “Place of Much Deer,” was named by the Native Americans who inhabited the area. The Village of Piscataquog had been part of Bedford until 1853, when it, along with the Village of Amoskeag, was officially made part of Manchester. This neighborhood later became a German settlement, covering a large portion of the West Side. Mast Road got its name from the large white pine trees that were reserved by the King to make masts for the Royal Navy when New Hampshire lands were first granted. The quality of the trees were especially good, hence the nickname “Mast Road.” The Mast Road Neighborhood is home to St. Anselm College and Pinardville, which was named after Edmond Pinard, a grocer who owned property on the Manchester/Goffstown town line. Mr. Pinard developed the entire area bearing his name. Many of the streets in the area are named after family members, Henriette Street was named after his wife Henriette Daigle Pinard, Theophile after his father and Agnes named after his mother. In the early 1900’s, Mr Pinard donated 12 lots of land to build St. Edmonds Church and School.
SOURCE: Manchester Historic Association